Lion Air crash: Boeing 737 plane crashes in sea off Jakarta

A Lion Air Boeing 737 passenger plane with 188 people on board has come down after taking off from the Indonesian capital, Jakarta.

Flight JT-610 was on a scheduled flight to Pangkal Pinang, the main city in the Bangka Belitung Islands.

It lost contact with ground control a few minutes after take-off, and was last tracked crossing the sea – it is unclear if there are any survivors.

The plane was a Boeing 737 MAX 8, a brand new type of aircraft.

Flight JT-610 took off from Jakarta at 06:20 local time on Monday morning (23:30 GMT on Sunday). After a short flight, it was due to arrive in Pangkal Pinang an hour later.

At a news conference, officials said it had been carrying 178 adults, 1 infant and two babies, as well as two pilots and five cabin crew.

The head of Indonesia’s disaster agency, Sutopo Purwo Nugroho, has tweeted images which he said showed debris and personal belongings that came from the aircraft.

He also shared a video he said had been taken from a tugboat off Karawang, just east of Jakarta, which appeared to show debris floating in the water.

Yusuf Latif, a spokesman for the national search and rescue agency told reporters: “It has been confirmed that it has crashed.”

Airline Chief executive Edward Sirait earlier told Reuters: “We cannot give any comment at this moment. We are trying to collect all the information and data.”

The aircraft was reported to be a Boeing 737 MAX 8, a model only in use since 2016. Flight tracking website Flightradar24 said the aircraft had only been delivered to Lion Air in August.

Aviation consultant Gerry Soejatman told the BBC the MAX 8 had been experiencing problems since it was introduced, including problems maintaining a level flight.

Indonesia, a vast archipelago, is heavily reliant on air travel, but many of its airlines have a poor safety record.

Lion Air is a budget airline based in the country.

In 2013, Lion Air flight 904 crashed into the sea on landing at Bali’s Ngurah Rai International Airport. All 108 people on board survived. In 2004, a Lion Air flight 538 from Jakarta crashed and broke up on landing at Solo City, killing 25 people.

Malawian President Orders Citizens To Embark On 3 Days Prayer…

 

President Peter Mutharika of Malawi, has ordered citizens to embark on 3 days prayer for good rain and disaster-free 2018/2019 rainy season from 26th to 28 of October 2018.

The president gave the order in a statement through Lloyd.A. Muhara, the Chief Secretary to the Government, where he also directed that all Cabinet Minister and senior Government officials should join congregations at their nearest places of worship.”

Tracy Chapman sues Nicki Minaj for copyright infringement

Rapper Nicki Minaj might have some apologizing to do over her song “Sorry.”

Minaj has been sued by folk singer Tracy Chapman for copyright infringement, relating to the song “Sorry,” which Chapman alleges incorporates the lyrics and vocal melody from her song “Baby, Can I Hold You” without permission.

In the suit, obtained by CNN, Chapman claims Minaj and her representatives began reaching out in June 2018 about using the song, but Chapman denied their request, which was made after Minaj had recorded the song for her album “Queen.”

“Sorry” was not included on “Queen,” which released in August.

According to Chapman’s suit, Minaj, however, provided a copy of the song to a popular New York DJ at HOT 97, a hip-hop radio station. Chapman claims the DJ subsequently promoted the song’s release on his social media channels and played it on air.

Minaj has not responded to the suit. But the suit does make mention of a now-deleted tweet from Minaj in which — prior to her album’s release — acknowledged struggling with whether or not to keep the song on her album, as doing so would have delayed “Queen’s” release.

Grammy-winner Chapman, who was a staple of the late ’80s and ’90s music scene, is best known for her songs “Fast Car” and “Give Me One Reason.”

DR Congo summons Angola ambassador over Congolese expulsion

Democratic Republic of Congo has summoned the Angolan ambassador over the expulsion of thousands of Congolese migrants from Angola during a crackdown on artisanal diamond mining this month, Congo’s foreign minister said on Wednesday.

“Angola [should] conduct a comprehensive investigation to establish who is responsible for these wrongful acts,” Foreign Minister Leonard She Okitundu said in a statement.

Congolese fleeing Angola, estimated to be 28,000 by the DR Congo government, said they had been forced to leave by Angola.

Some of them accused the Angolan police of carrying out human rights abuses.

In a speech on Tuesday to parliament, Angola’s President, Joao Lourenco, said illegal immigration linked to illicit diamond mining had reached alarming levels.

In order to be less reliant on oil the mining sector is to be reformed and President Lourenco said the days when anyone could join in the hunt for diamonds were now over.

Angolan Police Commissioner Antonio Bernardo denied the accusations of violence on Wednesday, and said that the border agreement between the two countries only allowed for visits up to 48 hours, news agency Reuters reports.

1 8 9 10